Choosing a Destination Wedding
Is a destination wedding right for you?
To some couples, getting married with just their closest family and friends on a remote beach in the Caribbean sounds like a dream come true. For other couples, a destination wedding just doesn’t meet their celebrating needs. Use our lists below to determine if a destination wedding is right for you.
A destination wedding might be right for you if:
- The only thing that matters is that you and your fiancé are together on your special day - and you’re being honest
- You’re a busy couple and don’t have time to sort out small details
- Your family isn’t very big and your group of close friends is fairly small
- You prefer simple, clean looks over elaborate detail
- You’re not a fan of the spotlight
- There are some sensitive family conflicts that you’re working around
- Control hasn’t been an issue for you as a couple
- You and your fiancé are from different countries or different coasts and you can’t decide where to have the wedding
- You’re not planning on getting married right away - for a destination wedding, both you and your guests need time to make arrangements
- You’re on a tight budget but still want to feel like you’re splashing out
A destination wedding might not suit you if:
- Ever since you were small, you’ve dreamed of a big, princess wedding
- You’ve got a large family or group of friends who would be really disappointed to miss your wedding or who you couldn’t imagine getting married without
- You’ve got lots of specific ideas that you really want for your wedding
- You’re planning a short engagement of six months or less
- You’re a very traditional couple
When it comes to planning your wedding, there are thousands of locations to choose from. A destination wedding could be a perfect match for you and your sweetie or it could leave you wishing you’d done things differently. You’ll get as much wedding advice as there are places to choose from, so listen to yourself and pick what you know will make you happiest.