Mistress of Ceremony Duties
I am trying to get an idea of what the responsibilities are for the mistress of ceremony. I know there are a number of duties involved, especially on the wedding day. I need last minute help with this, please!
- Make sure all audio equipment is working properly.
- Direct the wedding attendants to their proper location in the receiving line.
- Direct special guests to their reserved seats.
- Once the guests are seated, announce the entrance of the bride and groom.
- Introduce yourself as the mistress (or master) of ceremonies and introduce everyone at the head table.
- Announce the serving of dinner.
- After the main course (but before dessert) it will be time to start the speeches. At this time, make sure there is wine or champagne at all the tables.
- Call upon each person, one at a time to say their speeches (you may say one as well).
- Announce the cutting of the cake.
- Announce that the couple will be having their first dance as husband and wife.
- Let the guests know when the bouquet will be tossed.
- When the bride and groom are ready to leave, notify the guests so they can say their good-byes.
Choosing the Wedding Party
My mate (we have been living together for 12 years) was recently asked to be the best man for his friend's upcoming wedding. Should I (as his partner) be asked to be the maid of honor or do I attend the wedding as a guest?