Picture perfect wedding cakes
Your reception just wouldn't be the same without a wedding cake. After all, it's meant as a symbol of fertility and is one of the most commonly found wedding traditions. The Ancient Romans used to bake a cake of barley or wheat and then break it over the bride's head as a sign of fertility. It also became customary to pile several small cakes to create one large tier. The bride and groom would then try to kiss over the tower of cakes without knocking it over. If they succeeded, it was a sign that their marriage would be long and prosperous.
Today, wedding cakes are more about style and taste then they are symbols of fertility. If you're a talented baker you can make your own wedding cake - not only will you save money but it will also symbolize all the love and dedication that you will put into your marriage. For those of you who aren't whizzes in the kitchen there are hundreds of unique wedding cake designs to choose from, such as the recently popular cupcake wedding cake.
Choosing a wedding cake
Choosing your wedding cake can be a difficult task with all the styles and designs available. Visit the bakery and ask for a taste test! It's the only way to sample all the various types of cakes. You'll want to consider the following in your decision:
- Cake flavors and fillings - Almond, vanilla, chocolate, cheesecake, ice cream, liqueur, fresh fruit, spice, carrot and banana are just some of the options available to tickle the taste buds of all your guests.
- Cake frosting/icing - Fondant, butter cream, royal icing, cake decorators icing, marzipan and sugar paste or some of the sweetest choices to decorate your beautiful cake.
- Design - You're not limited to the traditional three tiered, white wedding cake. Stacked cakes, chocolate, contemporary patterns, fresh flowers, bright colors and mini cakes are all gaining in popularity. Consider adding details such as charms, beads, ribbons or unique cake toppers for a decorative touch.
Wedding cake trends
If you want a cake that will impress your guests then check out the hottest new trends in wedding cake design:
- Personalize it- Cakes are becoming much more personal, with custom designs, monograms and even cakes designed to match the pattern of your wedding dress.
- Bold color - Traditional white and ivory wedding cakes are becoming less popular. What's hot are vibrant colored cakes bursting with personality - they can even be designed to matching the wedding decor.
- Cultural traditions - The wedding cake design can be used to blend cultures and traditions. For example, Chinese calligraphy stamps can be used to create a repeating pattern for a contemporary look.