Designer Bridal Dresses
Haute Couture Wedding Gowns
When it comes to price and workmanship - a designer bridal dress stands out from the rest. Designer bridal dresses, also referred to as "couture" bridal gowns, are made to measure. Designer bridal gowns are one-of-a-kind gowns, which means as far as the wedding gown's fabric, color, cut, trim and details go - the sky is the limit.
Along with the plethora of design options designer gowns are generally of higher quality then off-the-rack bridal dresses. This is because off-the-rack bridal gowns are mass produced with more economical fabrics, which means that they are less individual and of lesser quality than designer bridal gowns. Off-the-rack gowns are also produced with the average sizes in mind, which means that almost every bride's gown will require alterations.
Consider the following list of pros and cons when considering a designer bridal gown vs. an off-the-rack wedding dress:
- Designer gowns are made to measure, which means they are sculpted to flatter your every curve. Off-the-rack gowns are mass produced to suit the 'average size' bride.
- If you find a dress design in a bridal magazine that you really like a bridal gown designer can replicate or improve it to your tastes.
- Couture bridal gowns require the bride to undergo a consultation and series of fittings that will take time. Off-the-rack bridal gowns may require none or only one fitting before you can take it home.
- Having your wedding dress designed is a very personal experience; whereas bridal shops are often just trying to make a sale.
- The bride will determine the fabric, detailing, silhouette, trim, length and color of her designer gown; whereas with off-the-rack wedding dresses 'what you see is what you get'.
- Off-the-rack bridal gowns are mass produced with synthetic fabrics and detailing; whereas designer bridal dresses are made with the highest quality natural fabrics.
- Couture wedding gowns can take anywhere from 1 week to 1 month to make; whereas off-the-rack gowns are mass produced within 1 day.
- Off-the-rack wedding gowns generally cost between $1000 and $2000; whereas designer bridal gowns start at $3000 and can cost up to $5000 (depending on time, fabrics and workmanship).