Wedding Attire Etiquette
Wedding Attire Dos and Don'ts
Wedding etiquette takes pleasure in looking down its nose at you where wedding attire is concerned, but leaves you stranded when it comes to giving some useful wedding attire suggestions. The following is a list of helpful wedding attire suggestions that would make any wedding etiquette junkie proud.
Female guest attire for daytime weddings can include:
- A flirty floral dress with a matching hat.
- A skirt and blouse or a sweater set.
- Strappy high-heeled sandals.
- A bright-colored suit in pastel blue, pink or sage green. Colors like black and navy are too business-like.
Male guest attire for daytime weddings can include:
- A neutral-colored linen suit in taupe or beige with a matching tie for summer.
- A wool suit in navy, black or charcoal pants for winter.
- Dark dress pants, a matching sweater and tie under a blazer.
- A dark or neutral suit with a coordinating turtleneck underneath.
- For casual weddings a dress shirt, tie and dress pants are acceptable.
At evening weddings guest attire is formal unless the wedding invitation states otherwise.
Men should wear:
- A dark 3-piece suit.
- Tuxedos are appropriate after 6 pm.
Ladies should wear:
- A cocktail dress or dressy suit in black or another dark color.
- If the wedding invitation says black tie an evening gown is appropriate.
- For casual weddings dress pants and a blouse with a blazer or a dressy skirt suit.
Wedding etiquette dictates that wedding guests shall not
- Wear white.
- Wear black to a daytime wedding (at evening weddings black is appropriate).
- Jeans or printed t-shirts
- Anything you would wear to a bar (including anything too sexy or revealing).